If we’re attempting to change a light bulb that is just out of reach we will look for a chair, a step stool, a ladder, or whatever we need so that we will be able to change that bulb. What happens to so many of us when we run into a barrier that is keeping us from moving towards the success we want out of life? To often we stop, lose focus and begin to convince ourselves that we will never reach that next goal on our road to success.
So what are the keys to staying motivated on our path to success?
Angela asked “How Do You Define Success?” in a previous article and added insight into why it is important to live to your own definition of success rather than how someone else or society defines it. It seems like common sense, doesn’t it? You will still run into barriers while on your path but, if you have defined what success is to you, on all levels, you will find it easier to be motivated and move past any barriers that present themselves.
I weigh a lot of my own success on the success of those around me. I want to see others take positive steps towards their own success and I want to celebrate those successes with them. I believe it’s important to help and encourage others along the way. So, is a focus on myself instead being selfish? I don’t think so. It’s important to acknowledge that when we spend most of our time and effort trying to please others or reach someone else’s goals, then we find ourselves constantly searching for meaning in our own lives.
I am at my best when I’m focused on what inspires me, what drives me to stay motivated to continue down my road to success. Maintaining a balance by not forgetting about me puts me in the best state to be truly present for those around me.
So, I want to share some of the things I do to prevent barriers from derailing me while on my path to success. My hope is that some of these things will help you on your road to success also.
- Focus on you. You will be in the best frame of mind to help yourself, and others, if you maintain a focus on you!
- Surround yourself with that which inspires you.
- Set goals, big and small, short term and long term, and take the steps you need to achieve those goals.
- Motivate yourself by reminding yourself why your goals are important to you.
- Celebrate small achievements along the way and share that enthusiasm for your goals with others.
- Take pride in your accomplishments, big or small, and don’t lose focus on what success means to you.
- Encourage positive talk with yourself and others.
Move forward and carry your ladder with you! When you run into those barriers that life throws at you, climb over them.