Low Cost Summer FunBy: Angela Schaefers Jun 19th, 2012
Category: Your Story Matters
A N N O U N C E M E N T
Check out Angela’s latest book, Your Story Matters, You Matter – A guide to healing, learning from and sharing your story. Join with me to celebrate this amazing milestone with Angela.
Summer is often the time of year people vacation, visit family or do things they don’t normally do. Perhaps this is because school is out and (hopefully) the weather is nice! Whatever your situation is, summer is a great time to have fun! However, with gas prices high and some facing financial challenges, it’s important to find those activities that offer low cost summer fun.
Low Cost Summer Fun
I listed some ways to have fun, on the cheap, here:
- Go out for ice cream OR get all the supplies needed and make ice cream sundaes at home
- Get an attachment to the water hose and make a sprinkler to run through
- Buy a slip ‘n slide, attach to the water hose and slide
- Find out if your community or neighborhood has free or low cost outdoor movie nights or concerts and attend them
- Have a garage sale and sell lemonade too! You can have fun, meet the neighbors and collect some cash
- Check into local beach or park clean ups and volunteer (sometimes you will get free parking if there is usually a fee to beach park and other great deals too!)
- BBQ- invite friends, family or neighbors and ask everyone to bring something to keep costs down
- Find places to hike at and take a picnic while you’re at it
- Make smoothies, icees or popsicles at home (great summer coolers and low cost when you make your own!)
- Go to your local beach or park and take some wood, marshmallows and roasting sticks and have a bonfire
- Go camping in your own yard (very convenient, affordable and close to your own bathroom!)
- Check locally to find free festivals or low cost events to attend nearby
- Check out books at the library for summer reading
- Skip the spa and have a girls night in - have everyone bring beauty supplies and do facials, manicures etc.
- Have an adults night in, invite friends, neighbors and family and have everyone bring a snack and an adult beverage to share
- Have a kid’s night – invite the kids friends, have everyone bring a snack and a game to play
- Do Sunday brunch at home - get a few food items you usually don’t have around and make mimosas if you are so inclined
- Get out and enjoy the weather – bike, walk, jog etc.
- Go to the beach and pack a picnic
- Find some volunteer work doing something you like… walk and play with animals at the animal shelter, entertain local seniors, do crafts with patients at the local hospital etc.
- Have a craft making day! Find stuff around the house and pick up a few supplies like paint, glue etc. and make crafts
What activities do you consider low cost summer fun? Please share what things you do that are free or low-cost to make your summer a good one!
We Invite You to Join the Discussion and Spread the Word. We find inspiration in the comments left by our readers and invite to you join the discussion. We are also grateful should you choose to share this article with your social networks.